Skip to main content

Is Motivational Books That Motivating?

I don’t do it intentionally but I stand different from my friends when it comes to choosing genres, while they pick action, thriller, horror or romance I stay put with drama, love, comedy and inspiration. While the words ‘choosing genre’ remains vague and open so does the medium I’d be using, could be movie or book or TV show. Somehow at least one of my choices matches with the book collection in library or Books24X7 and I start reading them when I get free time.
Though the busiest work life has been and is the last 2 months it has not stopped me from reading books. Have a nice conflict & FISH are the ones that I recently completed. I don’t wanna talk about ‘The Alchemist’ which I read cover to cover cause of honor and appreciation received by the book from multiple sources, of course it had the juice but not enough to be rated as that, in my humble opinion it is overrated. Talking about the last two motivation/personality development books that I read, they both are fables talking about life of managers facing different situation and how they overcame and that way book tries to explain philosophy that for sure is gonna confuse us.
FISH, a overrated book or should I say a well marketed book? half way I started dossing leaning on the train window. Last book that I read on train is ‘Sari n Sins’ though it’s dark humor and erotic romance & made me think why I’m still reading this? I completed with the flow of story; probably the basic difference between fictional story book and fable for motivation(real dry). But on the other hand “Have a nice conflict” went better, I’m sure that I would have enjoyed if I had read FISH first since Have a nice conflict had better constructed story.
“Beat around the bush” will be apt sub-title for FISH  book :P thinking about connecting the story to the suggested philosophy they had made the book look like Bollywood movie!!!  or some Hollywood Karate movie :D i.e., know one thing and you’d only be successful. Is that so easy to be successful? In a line I’d say “Fish drowns!” Why I’m so angry with this book? well as I mentioned I’m having busiest work life now and when I spent my precious hours on it, it better be productive or at least stress buster.
I don’t want to compare but still I feel How to have a nice conflict is better than FISH in many ways. Be it the content, story or the way the author took it along. You’d feel nice reading it as it’s a story not a lecture, while the core concept material is appended to the end of book Character Assessment – 7 motivational value system. All said and read but are these books really motivating? are they really developing my personality. If a book is enough to develop my personality then why would I go for another self-help book? I don’t remember the name of first such book I read! now I must have crossed at least 20. Its rare that something has managed to impact me! I’m not sure if thats my problem or the books.
Hey have you noticed all those negative and misleading words up front? I used them intentionally; Clearly unclear, I’d like to ask the same question to you “How much a motivation book has impacted you?”

Comments

Popular this month

Puththu kovilum Putho tilesum, as they are built

Its the grand Aadi season here in Tamil Nadu wherever you go you'd be followed by awful noise from no mercy speakers masqueraded as a devotional song. Yes, this is the first post dedicated to it. Hindu is not a religion but it's idealism, a way to unite people, that's perfectly constructed by assuming separate task to every God, no single God worship. Hindus moved from nature worship to idol worship, but that doesn't mean that we don't have nature worship we have created an idol for them and continued to worship them in a different form. Snake is a beautiful reptile, I have made friend with few too... Our ancestor found the natural law, 'every living creature on earth is important for the ecosystem to be balanced'. Maybe to make sure snakes are not killed fearing their venom they made them as God too! Not just idol snakes, they are worshipped as they are at their  conquered (from rats and termite)   nest or  puthu . Puthu as it used to be in open

Up and Close with Sudalai Madan: The Encounter

Night of 13th April all the preparations for the rituals were done in the temple, Sudalaimadan swamy was decorated with flowers, fruits and coconuts; the dedications reached above his chest. My cousin Sudalai Muthu, senior priest of the shrine reached home by late-night got blessings of his father Late Shanmugam Sundaram also previous head priest and blessed the family members in room dedicated for God, then started towards the temple. People have already gathered in huge numbers and were waiting for the Sudalaimada Swamy's arrival at Temple. Different rituals were offered by people to the Lord in order to get the blessings. As it is believed Sudaimada Swamy, the son of Lord Siva used to consume meat in Kailash for this reason he is sent to earth, where he can satisfy his earthy hunger thereby not polluting Kailash. Sree Aaladi Padmanabha Sudalaimada Swamy Temple, Kumarapuram Offering meat to Sudalaimadan is the most important and watchful event of the festival. Many devotees off

Even bull shit can take you to top

Once there was a bird who was so complaining about its illness which is not letting it fly to the lowest branch of tree. The bull which was hearing this smacked some flies on its dick and started "well then have my shit you'd get better". On hearing this the bird sitting on the back of bull got shocked but hesitantly it was ready to give it a try. The day after bird overcame its thoughts and started pecking on the dunk, first day itself bird was able to fly to the lowest branch of tree. Excited the bird took more shit and the following day, its was becoming healthy and fat. Within a week it got so well that with few strokes its able to reach the top of tree.  The farmer some feet away spotted the bird, went into home came out with air gun and shoot the bird down. Moral of the story: Even bull shit can take you to top, but it won't help you to stay there This story is pretty old but always good for a smile :) heard it in a 'inner management' video of Sadh

why do people sweat more in chennai???

One of the famous ornament of chennai is its summer!. Everyone here would have at least once talked about its effect and the way they affected. People comes out with sweats flowing from the body is the usual scene of chennai noon. The sweat produced is not just due to the temperature of the region. It is in fact due to the high humidity of chennai. To explain this lets see a fact, people in chennai sweats more than the people in delhi where the temperature is higher than the former. This is because of chennai's location. Chennai is located near sea due to which sea water evaporation is high during summer which in turn increases the humidity (Amount of water vapour present in air). Normally human blood temperature is about 35 deg Celsius. If the outside temperature is more than that, then our system tries to automatically cools down by releasing sweat from the body. The sweat which is released cools the surrounding heat by converting into vapour thereby reducing the body te

Acid rain in Chennai

Don't panic it is not literal acid but a metaphorical one. Probably Poes Garden, maybe Gopalapuram I can't imagine any other area in Chennai to be drained. So why is this? every time? we pray for rain and when it comes we are always unprepared, even for moderate showers our roads are flooded. Is it because Chennai is an old city and its infrastructure not enough for information age or is that because of the vote bank politics? By now you'd have guessed what I quoted as 'Acid rain', it is that one created by the broadcasting network. Nowadays every political party is having its own network, you do the math and imagine the amount of 'Angel and Demon' perspective we are exposed to. From every network that is with the ruling party, we are shown the 'Angel face' emergency number, disaster recovery team, ambulance gushing thru flood, evacuation and so on. Other side which clearly outnumbers the ruling party in 4:1 ratio shows us flood, death, dengue, sew